Makiki Christian Church Preschool
The mission of Makiki Christian Church Preschool is to honor God by demonstrating His love to the children and families of our preschool by providing a nurturing, Christ-centered, developmentally appropriate environment that fosters the spiritual, intellectual, social, emotional, and physical growth of every child in partnership with parents and our community.
Makiki Christian Church Preschool is a non-profit, State-licensed, and nationally accredited preschool licensed to enroll a maximum of 105 children from ages two through five. The Preschool is a mission of the total program offered by Makiki Christian Church in its efforts to meet the needs of the community. It is governed by the Preschool Board of Makiki Christian Church.
The Preschool serves the needs of 2-, 3-, 4-, and 5-year olds by offering them a wide range of experiences designed for their fullest development spiritually, intellectually, socially, physically, and emotionally. Reflected in the program of the preschool is a basic philosophy that:
- Children by nature are active learners with a drive to explore, to master, to be self-directing, to use all of their senses and all of their muscles in the process.
- Children learn best in a situation which provides the security of stable routines balanced by frequently changing, challenging, and new experiences.
- Children are best motivated to learn when they achieve approval and success through their own efforts.
- Children learn to organize themselves and understand themselves by experiencing limits which are reasonable and predictable. Consistent adult guidance helps them to develop self-control not based on fear of punishment.
- Children are sensitive and respond to non-verbal as well as verbal expressions from peers and adults.
- Worship of God and learning about His love and grace are valuable experiences for growth.
The activities, therefore, include varied experiences in art, music, literature, and natural and physical sciences, community life, and chapel -- all these activities are developmentally appropriate. The children are afforded opportunities to work and play with others of their own ages and to practice those social skills which make daily living more enjoyable.
NAEYC nationally recognizes high quality early childhood programs that demonstrate substantial compliance to ECE standards. Makiki Christian Church Preschool has been accredited by NAEYC through July 31, 2013. For more information on NAEYC, visit their website at www.naeyc.org.
We believe that each child is a unique and special gift from God and that He plays a vital role in the development of each child. The dedicated and loyal staff of our Preschool share this belief and carry out our mission every day. We feel privileged and honored to participate in providing developmentally-appropriate and spiritual guidance to the children who are entrusted to us.
Makiki Christian Church Preschool admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the Preschool. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies and other school-administered programs.
Makiki Christian Church Preschool, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), accepts children with disabilities on condition that a responsible accommodation does not impose undue hardships upon the Preschool.
Information pertaining to a child or parent or guardian of child shall not be disclosed to persons other than the facility staff unless the parents or guardians of the child grant written permission to do so.
Makiki Christian Church Preschool
Sandra Ishihara-Shibata, Director
829 Pensacola Street
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 594-8918 fax